Well yesterday seemed to have somehow disappeared possibly because I worked on Marriage Ceremonies all morning and then went out to friends for lunch and what a lovely time we had too. What would we do without our special friends? I just can't imagine. Also is would have been our 24th. Wedding Anniversary yesterday if my beloved husband Chris was still alive. Where have the years gone? But it's so wonderful to have those timeless memories that have sustained me across the years even though they are often bitter sweet as the pain of loss and grief washes over me when I least expect it.
I used to think that time seemed to pass so quickly because I was getting older but when my kids and the grandchildren think that too I guess it isn't just the ageing process. However, because I am getting on in years I realise how precious every day is. Denis Waitley quote 'Time and health are two precious assets that we don't recognise and appreciate until they have been depleted' is so true isn't it?
I became a Marriage Celebrant after my Chris died, and a number of my friends said "won't that work just keep reminding you of what you have lost, with Chris dying." I always replied "no of course not, it will remind me of how lucky we were to have loved one another so much and that we had our time together, short though it may have been"
Chris always said, "it's not how many years you have together it's what you put into those years.
Becoming a Celebrant has been such a privilege be it at a wedding, a Life Celebration, or any of the Passage of Life ceremonies that we are involved with. We all need ceremony and ritual it's part of who we are as human beings, as individuals and as fellow travellers on this earth, but we sometimes forget how important ceremonies and ritual are because of this crazy, hectic, stress filled world we live in.
One of my favourite quotes on ceremony is one by the spiritual teacher of the early to middle part of the twentieth century, G. I. Gurdjieff, who said "A ceremony is a book in which a great deal is
written. Anyone who understands can read it. One rite often contains
more than a hundred books". How true that is.
So enjoy the ceremonies and everyday rituals in your life - they are sacred to you and so important. We just need to take time to recognise that importance and celebrate every day that we have the gift of life and the priceless gift of love. Enjoy the moment for it is all we have!
No comments:
Post a Comment