Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Transition, change and challenge of the unknown

Mt Te Aroha
'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails'. Explore. Dream. Discover'. 

So said, Mark Twain, and that's just what I'm going to be doing on September the 29th. this year when I fly out to Nepal with my daughter, Leah.

Well I guess it's one way to focus my mind  on my determination to get fit and I guess living under Mt. Te Aroha will be a good motivation. Bald Spur here I come!

'Life is what you make it' they say - whoever 'they' are - along with 'if you can dream it you can do it'  and I seem to recall my father telling me when I was little, that 'we can move mountains if we really want to'. I also recall someone, somewhere, saying we are never too old to follow our dreams or to achieve them if we are determined enough.

We just have to change our attitude from"I couldn't possibly to that!" to "Of course I can!"

We are all presented with numerous changes during a lifetime, many of which can be extremely challenging and scary. We often fear the unknown - I know I do. Just booking an overseas flight online is scary enough - mind you, getting used to using a computer, a mobile and a digital camera scared the pants of me too, years ago.

But on the whole I have  managed to negotiate the transition from the old way of doing things to the fast and efficient methods of today's technology and quite surprised myself in the process. However, some changes in life are particularly challenging, especially a death of one kind or another.

Age and the aging process is another scary transition for many, especially if you are on your own. But then, growing up is pretty scary too. Becoming a wife and a mother was pretty challenging especially in the 60's and 70's and I managed to survive those transitions as most of us do.

I went to see the French, Oscar-winning film 'The Artist' today with my friend, Mary, in which transition and change area key themes. Set in Hollywood, between 1927 and 1932, the film focuses on the relationship of an older silent film star and a rising young actress, as silent movies make way for the  talkies. Among other things, it's about the inability of said famous silent movie star in coming to terms with the transition to the talkies and we follow him on his journey in the black and white world of the silent movie era. 

It is a brilliant film. One not to be missed, especially if you love French films, superb acting and are a romantic at heart.

Celebrancy of course, is a celebration of the transitions in life from birth, to death and the many passages of life in between.Most are joyful occasions but some are difficult because as Katharine Hepburn rightly said,'Life is hard. After all, it kills you'.

Any change is unsettling for a whole, we have to adapt and come to terms with it. Sometimes it is traumatic. Sometimes we think it will be a disaster and so change our world forever as people did when they thought the world was flat and you could fall off the edge; when the Industrial Age dawned; when the car was invented and with the increasing use of computer and digital  technology today.

Change is inevitable and it is unsettling and it might change your world forever but I believe that everything, in the end, is all about finding a balance and adapting to the changes around you as best you can. 

So here's to change! Here's to 'sailing away from my safe harbour to explore, to dream and to discover the unknown! 

For as Helen Keller said, 'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'.







No comments:

Post a Comment