Thursday, 23 February 2012

A Day of Diversity

I've had one of those wonderful days when there is nothing in my diary and then the day is filled quite magically as they sometimes can be.


It began with a lazy lie-in and a read of my book - I didn't have to get up to put out the rubbish or go out or have an appointment. Apart from feeding my and getting my morning cup of green tea I could please myself. What luxury! Especially as writing this blog at night as I have been doing means I seem to get to bed really, really late - no wonder I want to sleep in.


So from now on I will write it during the day when possible.that's what time-management is all about after all.


After a lazy breakfast I had a phone call from a special celebrant friend seeing if I could do lunch? 


"Absolutely fabulous darling come round and we'll have a good old catch-up!" 


Lunch is never a problem as I usually have something to hand but no Sue insisted on bringing lunch, so I wasn't going to argue.


Don't you just love having such beautiful friends?


We had been trying to catch-up in person for some while as we have birthdays quite close but hadn't been able to make a date. But I have to say I really do love those out-of-the-blue arrangements when the Universe just works it's magic don't you?


Then I checked emails and made arrangements to meet with clients and friends when up in Auckland this weekend and take in a movie. My snail mail included a letter of thanks for some things I had sent up to the Mercy Sisters for those in need and isn't the list growing of those needing help since the economic downturn?


I always feel a 'Thank You' is such a simple, yet such a valued gift to give and one that I certainly appreciate. Like a smile, it cost so little to say 'Thank You' yet many find it hard to do these days - perhaps because it does take a little bit of time. As we mourn for the seeming demise of 'Common Sense' so I  mourn that those two beautiful words - 'Thank You' are often not given so often these days.


I totally agree with the words of  G. K. Chesterton who wrote, “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” 


Then Sue arrived and we exchanged hugs together with cards and gifts and I share the message on the card Sue gave me as I just love them! 


'Youth is a gift of nature, but age is a work of art'. 


Wonderful, magical words because for me, age certainly does carry all the wisdom, experience, knowledge and mystery of life that I have learnt throughout my 69 years. Much of it gained by making mistakes, taking leaps of faith, being prepared to make a fool of myself and be open to what the Universe is offering. 


I like to think that with each passing year I am creating a 'tapestry' of my life - my own work of art - that I weave from the many strands of my life and each wonderful experience. 


I'm a big fan of Wayne Dwyer and his words encapsulate what I feel perfectly: 


'As I look back at the entire tapestry of my life, I can see from the perspective of the present moment that every aspect of my life was necessary and perfect. Each step eventually led to a higher place, even though these steps often felt like obstacles or painful experiences.'  


And certainly, from my perspective, the times I have really grown have been the most painful and heart-breaking - and the most rewarding retrospectively.


As I have mentioned before and no doubt will again during the year, Friendship is a precious gift, so the time I spend with special friends like Sue is a gift I give myself. We can share our innermost thoughts, beliefs and dreams. We talk about our work as celebrants with all the privileges and challenges such work brings. 
Within the sacred space of those moments life is an open book on which we metaphorically share our stories, experiences and feelings. We talk of life and death, of laughter and grief and of love in all its diverse aspects. 


We laugh at some of our better-to-be-forgotten celebrancy moments such as when I said a couple had been together 60 years instead of six and instead of saying the last line of a poem that should have been 'and now fly' and actually say 'and now fry'. And yes,it was a cremation.


But isn't it the ability to accept that we are fragile, imperfect and vulnerable that makes us truly human? We all make mistakes, we need to accept the fact that we are not perfect and we need to be able to laugh at ourselves. 
Or such is my belief. 


We are made up of a myriad different cells, emotions, feelings, characteristics and genes and each of us is totally unique. How often though we compare who we are to our parents, our ancestors, to our society's perception of who we should be, what we should look like or what we should do with our lives.


As the years have passed I hope that more and more I am able to accept who I truly am and am also able to accept who those around me are.


And when I think about it - it all comes down to kindness and the ability to be kind to myself and to others. Perhaps the world would be a far better place if we all showed a little more compassion and kindness to our fellow travellers on life's highway.


For as one of my favourite gays, Oscar Wilde, wrote - "The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention." 


So today I say a heartfelt 'Thank You' to my family, friends and all who touch my life and help to make me become who I am as they add more colourful strands to my personal 'tapestry' - my work of art.


The world is round so that friendship may encircle it












No comments:

Post a Comment