Tuesday, 28 February 2012

Change and Common Sense

As the trees bend with the wind so must we learn 
to bend with the winds of economic change
I had a really great weekend spending time with family and friends which I really enjoyed. I went to a remarkable and uplifting film called 'Buck' that I whole heartily recommend, however, it soon became apparent that the economic downturn, both here and overseas, is on everyone's mind.


Our dollars seems to buy less, shops are closing their doors, sales with as much as 70% off are prevalent everywhere, many jobs are hard to find, especially those for the youth of our fair land. 


Many have lost the security of having invested for their retirement because of the monumental collapsing of so many investment companies and the gap between the 'haves and the have-nots' is widening daily around the world, as well as here. 


Life is full of change and uncertainty for many in New Zealand today because of the shaky economy and most people I spoke to are cutting back on spending, instituting concerted budgeting and 'making-do' a lot more.  


Arnold Bennett's quote on change - "Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts," is so true.


On the whole people don't like change but surely, change is what life is all about isn't it? John F. Kennedy said, "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth," and his words have always rung true to me. 


I believe that society is having to change from its over-materialistic attitudes to a more down to earth, realistic one and I really hope that we are finally finally witnessing the re-birth of our old friend Common Sense.


More and more of my city friends are eating in instead of eating out, many have become ardent bargain hunters again and more and more are growing a flourishing kitchen garden, making jams and preserves, and my grandsons love cooking or are learning the culinary arts. 


Perhaps all those cooking programmes on television have been worthwhile although I believe a Roman, (or was he Greek) philosopher was thought to have said that when man/womankind became obsessed with food it was a sure sign of a dying civilisation!  


Perhaps we can re-discover the simple pleasures of actually making the presents and cards we give to family and friends, instead of spending large amounts in the shops. Or better still, re-cycle some of the items, books, we no longer need and this way you have the added benefit of de-cluttering. 


Something I certainly need to do. (Ask my kids!)


I've always found that adapting to any change in life is all about balance, moderation and plain common sense. And it's also about having the right attitude to whatever life brings us. As Winston Churchill said, "Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." 


And I'm going to let Hubert Humphrey, (former Vice-President of the USA)  have the last word tonight - "Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts.  It's what you do with what you have left."  


Food for thought.











No comments:

Post a Comment