Over the past months New Zealand has been dealt some hard blows, some difficult challenges what with the Christchurch earthquake, the harsh weather in the deep South resulting in huge stock losses, then the devestating Greymouth mine disaster with the loss of 29 good men and true. More recently my home town of Te Aroha, was dealt a big blow when the largest emplyer in the area, Silver Fern Farms Meat Works, was burnt down and 350 workers now have to face major upheavels in their lives.
Yet life goes on.
As a Celebrant I share in the joy and the grief experienced by the families I work with throughout the year and what an amazing privilege that is. So I would like to share a couple of the poems I have written as part of my work.
GRIEF
When someone you love dies
grief is overwhelming, the pain of loss
unbelievable, yet the one truth to hold on to
is the love you shared does not die
it will remain forever
it becomes a memory and then
that memory becomes a cherished treasure,
a candle of hope to light our way
out of the darkness of grief
and so life goes on.
Wanda Brittain
LAUGHTER
the song of life
so good for stress.
Don’t we feel great
as the body shakes
and tears of joy
bounce off cheeks
as sides are splitting
and eyes are smiling.
Yes, laughter is the very
best of medicines.
Wanda Brittain

No comments:
Post a Comment